The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

The Girls Track Team Goes to States

A Look Into this Year’s Girls Track Season

On Thursday, May 9th, the Weir High track team traveled to North Marion for regionals.  They worked hard all season to prepare, practicing intense workouts that challenged their speed and endurance, along with working on handoffs for their relays.  The team also made sure to eat well and recover for the days leading up to the race.  They placed 2nd overall as a team, and 4 of the 5 relays qualified for states.

“It was a lot of fun for everyone, and we came out very successful.  I was really happy that I got to go,” says Hailey Hans.

At states, Maleea Faulks and Myleigh Clevenger both placed 2nd in their shuddle hurdle relay.  Maleigha Stromile also placed 2nd in her shuddle hurdle relay, along with 4th in her 100-mile high hurdles. Kiana Luevano placed 2nd in her shuddle hurdle relay and 2nd in her 4×200-meter relay.  Naomi Young placed 3rd in her 4×800-meter relay, 5th in her 800-meter run, and 1st in her 4×400 meter relay. Lea Young placed 3rd in her 4×800-meter relay.  Olivia Shetler placed 3rd in her 4×800-meter relay.  Dacodah Roach placed 3rd in her 4×800 meter relay.  Liv Baker placed 1st in her 200-meter dash, 1st in her 100-meter dash, 2nd in her 4×200-meter relay, and 1st in her 4×400-meter relay.  Mea Kauffman placed 3rd in her 400-meter dash, 2nd in her 4×200-meter relay, and 1st in her 4×400-meter relay.  Finally, Bella Spickard placed 2nd in her 4×200-meter relay and 1st in her 4×400-meter relay.

“States was a really amazing experience.  I ran great in all of my events, and it was really nice to see all the hard work I did pay off,” Naomi Young explains.