The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Ferguson is WVADA Athletic Director of the year

Weir’s first female AD reflects on the award
Donna Ferguson was named the West Virginia athletic director of the year by the West Virginia Athletic Association this month.
“I was very surprised and honored to receive such an award from my peers. It is a true testament to the staff of coaches, our trainer Mr. Hollister, and our maintenance and custodial staff, our secretaries, our administration, and all of our game worker,” said Ferguson.
Prior to being named Weir High School’s first female athletic director, a distinction Ferguson says she was honnored to hold, she co-taught in the math department and taught ninth grade world history as well as AP US history.
“I really enjoyed being in the classroom,” Ferguson said.
Her favorite part of being an athletic director was “getting to see student-athletes develop from their freshman year through senior year. I loved seeing how they not only grow in their sport but mature and be ready to go beyond weir high in their next chapter.”
The most challenging part as an athletic director for Ferguson was “getting through Covid and all the restrictions was a very challenging time. I am proud that we were able to continue all athletics with very few missed events.”
She said the most impactful part of having this position is that “I have always encouraged student-athletes to advocate for themselves whether it’s in the classroom or on the field/court and make sure that they are getting their classwork done and making time for their studies as they think about their academic success and futures.”
After many years of being a part of Weir’s Faculty. Ferguson has decided to retire to spend more time with her grandson and her kids. She plans to  travel once the year is done.
“I am thrilled for Ms. Ferguson that she has been recognized by Athletic Directors around the state for her many accomplishments,” said head principal Ted Arneault. “Ms. Ferguson has helped foster an environment of success for our student-athletes both on the field and in life!”
Baseball coach David Cowdensaid, “When I took the position, she put together a binder with all the things that I needed to be aware of, such as OVAC contacts, WVASSAC information, emergency action plans, and many other things. She has been a huge help to me!”
“Donna is always on top of things. she is always there to support when needed and great to work with when an issue arises” Bob Babinchak bowling coach said.