The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

FBLA Spring Leadership Conference

Five Winners

The Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) competed in the WV FBLA Spring Leadership Conference. Twelve students from Weir High attended. They traveled to Kingwood, WV. They competed on various events, testing their business acumen against other teens from across the state.

In order to prepare for the competition, each student who indicated they would like to participate looked over the list of topics and chose something that appealed to them. The club had after school tutoring sessions from January through March.

Weir High students receive first placed in five different categories. Andrew Manteau took first place in Website Design; Kayla Mazon placed first in Business Communications; freshman Abbi Hunt won first place in Introduction to Event Planning; Arwen Denunzio won first place in Personal Finance and finally, Savvy Swidowski took home first place in Digital Animation.

Four of the five winners at State level also hold leadership team positions. Andrew Manteau serves as President, Savvy Swidowski is Vice President, Kayla Mazon serves as Treasurer and Arwen Denunzio is our secretary. Candice Dotson FBLA Advisor said, “It is safe to say that our leadership team LEADS in every possible way.”

These students will be traveling to Nationals in Orlando, Florida this summer. The FBLA club fundraiser all year-round so their whole trip can be payed for in full. The students compete at National will compete against teens from all of Ross the nation. As part of the Nationals the student earned a reward trip to Universal Orlando as part of adventure to Orlando.

Andrew Manteau said, “I was very excited! This will be my third consecutive year going to nationals as a first-place state winner, and it has been a blast for both of the past couple years. I think this will be the best one yet since I’ll have so many of my friends alongside me!”