The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Academic Games Nationals

Team Travels to Atlanta, Georgia to Compete

At the end of April, the qualifying members of the Weir High Academic Games team traveled with their advisor, Mrs. Smith-Montgomery, to compete at nationals in Atlanta, Georgia.

This was the first time for everyone competing that Nationals was held in this city.  It took place at the Hyatt Regency Conference Center.  Mrs. Smith-Montgomery explained that in comparison to last year, many more parents accompanied to help chaperone the students, which helped out with sightseeing.  During the trip, students got to see the Georgia Aquarium, Zoo Atlanta, College Football Hall of Fame, World of Coca Cola, and the Civil Rights Museum.

To prepare for this competition, students studied the provided topics and practiced playing against each other twice a week, for two and a half hours after school.

This year’s theme was the history of rock and roll.  Andrew Manteau placed 3rd in the nation individually in the Senior LinguiSHTIK category.  Max Wood placed 9th in the nation individually in the Senior Theme category.  Hunter Antol followed, placing 6th individually in the nation in the theme category.

“The competition went well overall, as we had multiple top ten placements and enjoyed our time in Atlanta,” Max Wood reflects.

“I was extremely pleased with the competition and proud of Hancock County’s Academic Games players,” Mrs. Smith-Montgomery shares.