The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Spring Sports Recap

Post Season Achievements

Baseball

The baseball team kicked off their season at Oak Glen with a 11-9 loss. This season was the first where the team had a turf field which gave them the ability to practice and play, even when the weather did not permit. The home opener against Steubenville Central was a big game for the team with a 6-2 win. The team is led by four seniors: Trae Cook, G Cross, Jerzee Mccallister, and Zion Spencer. The team just fell short of the city championship with an 8-9 loss. Head Coach David Cowden said, “Team members have been very supportive of each other, whether cheering when we are at bat, or while playing the field.” The team got a big win over Union Local in an extra-inning just before sectionals. In sectionals, the first game was against East Fairmont where they loss 11-1. But in the second game of sectionals, they beat oak glen 11-1. The third game was against North Marion where they won 10-4. In the final game of sectionals, against East Fairmont they couldn’t get anything started and lost 5-0. They overall season record is 13-14. Damir Mowder said, “This season was successful, we accomplished a lot as a team but still have room to improve.”

Softball

The softball team started their season winning against Brooke with a score of 7-3. There are 13 girls on the team this year with 6 Juniors, 5 Sophomore’s, and 2 Freshman. Brayley Lash said, “This season is really special because we have no seniors, so we know we will come back even better and stronger with the same people next year!”  They had a very successful season with working hard, achieving goals, and winning many games. Head Coach John Leary said, “What’s special is that we’ve attained the goals we set before the season, so far.” They had many highlights in the season with being OVAC and Sectional Champs. The team also won against Oak Glen 4 times. Rayna Hoover received athlete of the week and hit 11 home runs. “Our coaches always motivate us to play our full potential and tell us things we need to improve on, our team has always had a strong mindset and we never give up when we are down.” The team made it all the way to regionals where they 2 out of 3 of the games, not letting them to advance to the state tournament. Overall, the team had a very successful season!

Boys Tennis

The Boys tennis team was coached by Francesca Capaldi and had 1 senior, Tyler Hores. The team started off with the whole team being new players except for Max Wood. Going into OVACs Max wood won his singles match. Going into regionals Caden Runkel won his singles match and Jarod Bishof and Max wood won their doubles match. Max Wood had a record of 3-17. For the Number 1 doubles team Jarod Bishof’s record was 4-15 and Max Wood’s was 3-16. “I thought the tennis season was a great start to a whole new team and it was great to see them improve over the season,” said Max Wood

Girls Tennis

The Girls Tennis team was coached by Steven Kettler and consisted of 3 seniors: Piper Pedrotti, Lindsay Berdine, and Leila Schwer. The team’s record was 18-3. They finished 3rd at the OVAC tournament and 2nd at the Reginal tournament. Jenna Costello and Megan Dunmyer placed 2nd at the reginal tournament for their doubles team. That qualified them for a spot at the state tournament. Jenna Costello also qualified for one of the 4 singles out of the region at the State tournament. Jeanna’s record for her singles is 20-5 and the double team with Megan Dunmyer and Jenna Costello was 22-5. “The Girls Tennis team had a historic season and took the program to new heights.  I’m extremely proud of their accomplishments on and off the court but I am even more proud of the individuals they are becoming” said Coach Kettler. Megan Dunmyer stated “Playing with Jeanna has boosted my confidence to a maximum this season because she knows exactly when I get in my head, and she knows how to get me to snap back in the game. I am super proud of not only her but the entire team because every person on this team has put in the work and the motivation to get to where we are at right now.”

Girls Track

On Thursday, May 9th, the Weir High track team traveled to North Marion for regionals.  They worked hard all season to prepare, practicing intense workouts that challenged their speed and endurance, along with working on handoffs for their relays.  The team also made sure to eat well and recover for the days leading up to the race.  They placed 2nd overall as a team, and 4 of the 5 relays qualified for states. “It was a lot of fun for everyone, and we came out very successful.  I was really happy that I got to go,” says Hailey Hans. At states, Maleea Faulks and Myleigh Clevenger both placed 2nd in their shuttle hurdle relay.  Maleigha Stromile also placed 2nd in her shuttle hurdle relay, along with 4th in her 100-mile high hurdles. Kiana Luevano placed 2nd in her shuddle hurdle relay and 2nd in her 4×200-meter relay.  Naomi Young placed 3rd in her 4×800-meter relay, 5th in her 800-meter run, and 1st in her 4×400 meter relay. Lea Young placed 3rd in her 4×800-meter relay.  Olivia Shetler placed 3rd in her 4×800-meter relay.  Dacodah Roach placed 3rd in her 4×800 meter relay.  Liv Baker placed 1st in her 200-meter dash, 1st in her 100-meter dash, 2nd in her 4×200-meter relay, and 1st in her 4×400-meter relay.  Mea Kauffman placed 3rd in her 400-meter dash, 2nd in her 4×200-meter relay, and 1st in her 4×400-meter relay.  Finally, Bella Spickard placed 2nd in her 4×200-meter relay and 1st in her 4×400-meter relay. “States was a really amazing experience.  I ran great in all of my events, and it was really nice to see all the hard work I did pay off,” Naomi Young explains.