The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Experiencing States

Experiencing States

Throughout the 2023-2024 school year, Weir High Athletics have been making great impacts in the school and community. So far, after the completion of fall and winter seasons, seven teams have made the trip and competed at states.

There is a typical idea of what the states experience contains, however it is different for many people. Some state tournaments, like soccer, happen in Beckley and football takes place in Wheeling, but, most of the tournaments take place in Charleston. Before every team leaves, the school hosts a sendoff with the team. It is a great way to show how students support their peers and the band playing creates a fun atmosphere. The travel down to states can take anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on where the event is located. Teams typically stop to eat on their way down to make sure they are keeping the same habits that they normally would. The preparation for the competition is unlike any other. The stress, anxiety, and emotions are at an all time high due to the idea that competing at states is the most important tournament you will compete in.

In the fall, the girls’ soccer team, volleyball team, football team, and a runner for cross-country had the chance to make history.

The first athlete to travel to states this year was Junior, Naomi Young representing the Cross Country team.

Young said, “I was very grateful to be able to be able to qualify for the second time. It meant a lot because it really showed that all of the hard work I did paid off.”

Young placed 26th out of 93 runners at the state meet.

The next team to travel to the state tournament was the Girls Soccer team. Junior, Rayna Hoover gave her input on the experience.

Hoover (Goal Keeper) said, “It was a great feeling because we’ve worked towards making it to states for years and we finally made it this year.”

The girls made it to states as 1 of only 4 teams to make it to the tournament. They ended up losing in the semifinal against Charleston Catholic.

Next up, the volleyball team travelled to Charleston for their state run.

Junior Janai Turner (Libero) said, “From my freshman year, it was always a big goal. So, for us to make it to states it meant a lot.”

The volleyball team ended their states run in their first game against Oak Glen.

Lastly for the fall, the football made their mark at Weir by hosting a playoff game and making to the third round of playoffs.

Junior Damir Mowder said, “It was an amazing experience getting to make it that far. That’s the tradition here at Weir High and we want to keep it that way.”

The football team travelled to North Marion where their season came to an end in the semifinal.

After a successful fall sports season, the winter sports followed up with another impressive year. The Girls Basketball team, boys swim team, and a member of the wrestling team all had the opportunity to participate in their state tournaments.

The first winter sports team to travel to the state tournament was the swim team. Ryan Owen and the boys Medley Relay got to have their experience.

Owen’s said, “It was so exciting! The competition gets harder every year so when I found out I got to go both years it was exhilarating.”

Shortly after swimming, the girls basketball team won the home regional championship and got to have their turn.

Junior Maleea Faulks said, “It was definitely a time to remember. Especially being able to go down to state and play with my best friends. It was a great feeling to make it to states for the first time in 12 years.”

The girl’s team was 1 of 8 teams to make the tournament and lost in the quarter final to East Fairmont at the Charleston Coliseum.

Last but not least, Shawn Young representing the wrestling team.

Young said, “It was exciting, but also a little sad because I knew it was my last high school tournament.”

Young placed 2nd in the state.

The experience of states is an experience that many athletes will never forget. Between the memories, history, and emotions, it is truly a great experience and an incredible honor.