The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Trending Movies in 2024

Barbie Movie
Barbie Movie
Are you keeping up with the trends? Social media platforms give certain movies advantages to become popular. If a video goes viral for a review of the movie it creates more people that want to watch it. According to Fashinovation, “Through their posts, stories, and videos, they promote fashion designs and trends, making them the go-to individuals for what’s hot and what’s not in the fashion realm.” TikTok is one of the fastest-growing social media platforms in the world. Other contributors to the trends include Facebook, Instagram, and X (Twitter).
For example, when the romantic comedy movie “Anyone but You” came out it became a trend after the movie to skip out of the theater to the 2004 song Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield. This trend emerged from TikTok with users getting over a billion likes. After the video went viral it became a trend and drew attention to the movie pulling more people in to watch it. Also, known actress Sydney Sweeney was the star.
Senior Olivia Baker states, “The movie was very fun and entertaining to watch.”
One of the more popular movies of last year was the adventure comedy movie “Barbie”. The movie accumulated 1.4 billion dollars. Well-known actors Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling starred as Barbie and Ken. This movie became trending because of the nostalgia and real-life action from the Barbie doll. Viewers watched the movie for its perspective on a girls life.
Also, in competition with Barbie at the time was “Oppenheimer”. This movie was a historic drama, known for its loud action scenes. It shows fascination for nuclear bombs and a story within World War II. During the time, it was head-to-head with Barbie because of their release date.
Another quickly trending movie is the 2024 rerun musical comedy of “Mean Girls”. It became a trending movie after TikTok users made videos about the bad advertisement throughout the film. This rapidly captivated people to watch the movie to give their opinion on it. Not only did people look for the ads, they were also comparing it to the 2004 original.
In addition, the comedy thriller film “Saltburn” became a trend to watch for its uneasy scenes and mindboggling ending.
Senior Ava Altomare states, “I saw people review it on TikTok and it made me want to watch it too.”
The movie became trendy after videos were made by viewers about how disturbing it was. This thriller takes a twist when the main character, Oliver, becomes obsessed with a family in the town of Saltburn.
  In conclusion, movies have become popular based off social media. To become trendy is when something gets popular for a short amount of time. Social media helps advertise.