The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Fall Sports Wrap Up with Post-season Play

As most fall sports end, no matter what the outcome, every athlete competed to their fullest potential, proudly repping Weir High. Each sport ended seasons with post-season play and awards.

Golf

Justin Kaczmarek, Evan Kaczmarek, Isaiah Smith and Guy Meneely posed for a picture before competing at the regional tournament.

The golf season ended with a fair year. Looking back, they competed till the end. However, they have impressed many people. The team was led by their only senior, Angela Paull. There were a number of young players this season who learned many skills. Isaiah Smith, Evan Kaczmarek, Justin Kaczmarek, and Guy Meneely competed at the Regional Tournament at Tygart Lake Golf Course in Grafton. Their season ended on Sept. 25 as they battled rainy conditions to finish five strokes out of sixth place as a team. Smith shot a team best score for the round and improved his Regional score from last year by 20 strokes.

Cross Country

Young strives for the finish line at the state tournament.

Cross Country kicked off their season by running the Marland Heights 5k. They had their first meet at Autumn Classic on August 20. At the beginning of the season, the team looked poised to take the next step. The runners had a strong showing at OVACs with Young placing 30th OVAC All-Conference and third in 4A. The team was competitive in the regional tournament, with Young placing ninth and moving on to compete at states, where she finished 26th of 93 runners.

Girls’ Soccer

The girls’ soccer team finished with an impressive record of 18-3-2. Led by seniors Olivia Bine and Olivia Baker, they won OVACs, sectionals and regionals against East Fairmont in a penalty kick shootout. The team advanced to states but lost 4-0 to Charleston Catholic. Baker received many awards, including OVAC all-star, first team all-region, first team all-state, and was invited to play the North vs South game and took home the win. Seniors also competed and won in the OVAC all-star game. Many of the other players received accolades according to their Facebook page.

Volleyball

The volleyball team had their all-time best record of 17-18-1. Led by seniors Lillie Caranda and Mea Kaufman, the team beat Madonna in a 3-0 match, winning the City Championship. After finishing second in sectionals and second at regionals, the team advanced to states. Their season ended in the first round at states against Oak Glen, placing them eighth in W.Va. Brayley Last received WVSSAC all-Tournament Team.

Boys’ Soccer

The boys’ soccer team finished their season with a record of 6-13-2. On October 12, they played a game to raise money for breast cancer research against East Fairmont, which ended in a tie. Led by many seniors and juniors, the team is focused on its deep freshman and sophomore classes. The season ended after a 0-3 loss to Wheeling Catholic Central. Cole Caranda and Antonio Pittman participated in the OVAC All-Star game.

Cheer

The cheer squad spent its season supporting the football team from the sidelines and in pep rallies as well as hosting camps and a showcase for their families and the public. The team competed in their regional tournament on Nov. 8, and their seniors will cheer in a holiday parade on Nov. 20 at Disney World as part of UCA All-American Cheerleaders. The team continues to support the football team as they work through playoffs on the road to states. When fall sports finish, they’ll move onto basketball season and their OVAC tournament in 2024.

Football

The football team kicked off their season at Jimmy Carey Stadium with a crushing 38-7 win against Oak Glen. They celebrated 100 years of football by inviting alumni football players to celebrate at the game versus Indian Creek. Later in the season, they had their first loss to Union Local, a 20-13 game, but bounced straight back defeating Keyser 49-21. Before entering playoffs, they dominated Brooke 24-10. They ended the regular season 10-1. The team made history by hosting the first round of playoffs for the first time at the new Jimmy Carey stadium, beating Frankfort in a nail-biter 23-21. In the second round, the team edged out Scott with a late touchdown landing them 35-33. They are slated to play top seed North Marion in the WV AA state semifinal round for the first time since 2018 at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 25. With high hopes for the future and a possible championship in the mix, how will this team’s journey end?