The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir’s Take on Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Groups raise money for the cause

GAA was busy throughout October with planning fundraising events for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The club put together a walk and sold ribbons to raise money for Weirton’s Breast Cancer Center.

Each year an estimated number of women and men are diagnosed with breast cancer. About 240, 000 women a year are diagnosed while 2,100 men are diagnosed with breast cancer. Though there are 3.1 million survivors in the U.S.

Raising awareness for breast cancer increases understanding of this disease, helps fund research, treatments, and cures for breast cancer, and encourages to get checked for breast cancer.

Throughout the week GAA sold breast cancer ribbons for $2 a ribbon. They sold them Monday October 16th through Friday October 20th. All proceeds were donated to Weirton’s Breast Cancer Center.

They also raised money by having a breast cancer walk that was held Friday October 20. Students paid $2 to walk to raise awareness. During the day of the walk GAA members wore pink to support Breast Cancer Awareness.

“I am thrilled to announce a heartfelt donation of $700 to the Weirton Medical Center Breast Care Facility. This contribution is in celebration of Breast Cancer Awareness. GAA invited three remarkable women: Wendy Rogers, Jamie Lash, and Sunny McCoy, who collectively share 17 years of being cancer-free. The women walked in our breast cancer walk with Weir High students and staff,” said GAA advisor Sarah Alkire.

Along with GAA raising awareness for breast cancer other ways to raise awareness include sharing information through social media, participating in other walks or runs for breast cancer, or by donating to charity for breast cancer.

Along with GAA events, sports teams like the boys’ soccer team played a game in honor of breast cancer awareness month.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month means something to the students of Weir High, especially with all the awareness and participation brought by the students and staff in the activities brought by sports teams and GAA. There are many who have been impacted by the disease.

“Three people I know of have had breast cancer. My aunt just got diagnosed with it around three months ago. She is having surgery on November 1. She is very scared but I’m being strong for us. It has taken away a lot of things she can’t do because she feels sick and after the surgery will have to rest for a couple weeks. My grandma had breast cancer when she was 34, and I think it still affects her with confidence. And my cousin had breast around three years ago during COVID, and this was hard,” said Sophomore Hailey Hans.

“One of my mom’s friends had it. It was awful. Her friend is a very amazing women, and no one should have to go through the mental and physical hurdles of treatment. Raising support for women and treatment facilities will help the men, women, and families cope just a little bit better.” Said Junior Mackenzie Stear.

To help prevent being diagnosed with breast cancer, especially before it is too late, here is somethings you can do.

• Ask your doctor about breast cancer screening
  • Check yourself for lumps or abnormalities
  • Get a mammogram regularly
  • Maintain a healthy weight