Winter Sports Wrap-up

a look into the game

Cole Caranda, Staff Writer

In addition to fall sports, the cheer and dance teams both earned their own accolades. The cheer team supported the football and basketball teams all year. They also finished third at the OVAC tournament at WesBanco Arena in Wheeling. After their third place finish their coach said that she was “So proud of these girls.”

The dance team placed second at their first competition, the Wheeling Park Dance Invitational. Their coach said, “Huge congrats to our girls.” She followed, “we are beyond proud of all of you.”

The swim team qualified eight kids for OVAC’s. Ava Babinchack qualified for the 200 free, Angela Paull qualified for the 200 IM, and the 100 fly, Ryan Owen for the 500 free and the 200 IM, Max Wood for the 200 IM, and the 100 breast, Leanna Bisset for the 500 free, and the 100 breast, Alena Austin for the 100 fly, Alex Palacios for the 100 fly, and the 100 back, and Catherine Glodowski for 100 free, and 50 free.
The team also had a big success at regionals, the team put up 12 new personal records and Ryan Owen advanced to the state swim meet.
Head coach Jason Bennet said, “This season was my second season as Swim Coach. We had a challenging year with multiple injuries, some illnesses; however, my swimmers are hard workers. They did their best and gave me the best they could at each and every meet Despite recovering from an injury or illness.”

he wresting team had a great season. Five people placed at regionals in their weight class, those being junior Shawn Young (third), senior Gage Hawkins (fourth), senior Owen Totten (fourth), junior Alias Pugh (fifth), and sophomore Wyatt Hostuttler (sixth). They qualified three wrestlers to compete at the state match as well as an alternate.
At states, Young had to fight his way through the consolation bracket. He then won the “Blood Round” and placed sixth in his class. “2022-2023 wrestling season was a successful season for our young team. We showed growth from last year with all our boys improving their winning percentages this season.” – Thomas Taylor

The boys basketball team made their first appearance in the OVAC finals for the first time since 2010 this season, unfortunately, falling to East Liverpool by just two points.
Moving on in the season, the Boys beat Oak Glen in the sectional semifinals, which led them to advance to play North Marion in the sectional championship game.
The boys went into this game knowing that they had to give it their absolute all so they could win and host the regional game. The final score at the buzzer was 54-45, and the Weir boys came out victorious once again.
The team then moved on to playing Hampshire for the regional championship. If Weir would’ve won, it would have been the first time that Weir had made an appearance at Charleston since 2013, this was a huge game for the boys. Sadly, the final score was 53- 46, and Hampshire took the win.
This was the furthest Weir High has made it in a while. The boys had a great season, with an ending record of 15-10.
“We accomplished a lot this year, made the OVAC final, got 15 wins, won sectionals. It’s going to sting for a while because we’re competitors, but we’ll wake up and smile about what we accomplished someday” stated Santangelo.

The varsity team won OVACs with a one-pin victory over East Liverpool. The individual top bowlers for Weir were David Bloomer and Shane Arnold.
They also won the large school title at the Ohio Valley High School Bowling League for the third time, which is how many tournaments have been held. The event was held this year for the first time since 2019 after being canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic the past two seasons.
The bowling team won the first ever Ohio Valley High School Bowling JV tournament. JV bowlers earned four of the six medals up for grabs. For the girls Kylie, Dunmyer won gold with a 422 series followed by Makayla Moore winning silver with a 376 series. For the boys, Nick Parker took gold with a 471 series followed by Andrew Byers winning silver with a 454 series. Coach Babinchack states that the significance of the season was, “The togetherness of the team.”
The varsity bowling team defeated John Marshall Monarchs Bowling 2425-1293 to conclude their regular season. Leading the way was Jackson Parsons with a 278 Game and team record 537 series.
Coach Babinchak was selected to coach the inaugural OVAC All-star Bowling Match. Savannah Moore will represent the girls and David Bloomer and Josh Byers will represent the boys for the WV squads.
The bowling team is undefeated and is now on their way to nationals. Bennet states that,” This team has once again qualified for the US High School Bowling National Champions to be held in Dayton, OH June 17-19, 2023.”