Foreign Exchange Experience

Salomone on a street in Milan.

Paisley Tice, Design/Layout Manager

Weir High welcomes new foreign exchange students each year. This year, one of our exchange students is junior Noemi Salomone

Salomone (M) in Miami with her sister and father.
An example of architecture in Milan.

Noemi Salomone is from Milan, Italy. She has traveled to the United States with her parents her whole life. The first American city she fell in love with was Miami, because she vacationed there every year as a child. “I fell in love with that city but mostly with the American lifestyle. That’s why I wanted to focus on my English trying to improve more and more, because my vision of the future was to live here in America.”

She first decided to become an exchange student when she saw a video of a girl online talking about her experience being a foreign exchange student in Texas. “From that moment I understood that being an exchange student would be a goal for my future.”

Salomone is excited for American high school because she wants to have new experiences and meet new people. She says that school is like it seems in the movies. She is also looking forward to joining the swim team in the winter.

She says, “I’ve been really lucky because I have the best host family I could ever wish for.” Although she misses her family, she feels very fortunate to have a host family that she feels comfortable with.

The hardest part of moving her is leaving her family behind. She says that it’s difficult to be a stranger to everyone and feel like you’re starting your life over.

Salomone is excited to see what the rest of the school year holds, and she is enjoying her experience so far.