College: Scary or Exciting?

Marissa Howard, Weir Student Media Staffer

College is the start of a new life. Being somewhere new, living on your own, and surrounded by new people, it’s scary but also exciting. Senior year of high school is spent looking for a school that fits just right. When looking for the right school, students need to think about what major is most interesting, finance, environment, and distance. There’s different perspectives of college and whether people thinks it’s beneficial or a wasn’t of time and money.

Mr. Wright, (the school guidance counselor) stated, “It is only important if it prepares you to make a living” when asked if he thinks college is beneficial.

Financial problems are one of the biggest reason why students do not attend college. Which is where scholarships come in to help. Scholarships are awards of financial aid to any students that are picked. There are many different types of scholarships. It works best by applying to as many as you qualified for. Different types of scholarships are accessible through the guidance counselor.

Wright explains how he finds the scholarships to inform students, “The scholarships are given to the school by families, local organizations, and businesses.”

In a survey sent to juniors and seniors, asked if they know how to find and apply for scholarships. Majority said either they don’t know or somewhat know. It’s very important to understand how to apply and which ones to search for. Scholarships are provided for students that qualify for certain things to receive money that will go towards the school of their choosing.

Parchment is something that isn’t learned about until you’re applying. Wright stated, “It is a company that we use to send your transcripts to schools and potential employers.” It’s as easy as making an account on parchment.com and seeing your transcript online. By doing this you can even send your transcript to any school of your desire.

In the survey sent out, it asked if students knew what major was best fit for them. 100% of the poll was “yes” that they know what major they wanted to go into. It’s very common to have a change of mind on a career path when entering college and meeting new people. Many don’t have an idea of what they’re interested in before applying. It’s hard to grab the concept of how many different career choices there are.

Trade school is just as important as regular college. Trade school (technical school) is a hands on type of learning. It gives you education and experience on a certain job or skill. So for someone that would like to get a quick education and go into work, trade school would be perfect. It can teach you welding, carpentry, plumbing, auto mechanics, and nursing.

While figuring out your future is both scary and exciting, it also might be some of the best years of a students life.