How to improve your test taking skills

Alexis Ortiz, Staff

Jordyn Ferguson

By improving your test taking skills, you can improve your GPA. With the end of the year coming up and the finals exams approaching fast, students have many reasons to develop test taking skills and strategies. Improving test performance can boost confidence, increase GPA, and gain NHS membership along with the possibility of highest honor.
Math and test prep teacher Alisa Hannah said, “Improving your test taking skills can help someone with multiple choice type test by learning how to use the answer choices as an advantage. For example, you can learn to eliminate incorrect answers, which in return will give you better odds of getting the correct answer.”
Hannah also said, “Everyone is different. A learner needs to figure out what their style is for each subject area and type of test. Learning how to learn is an individualized process.”
Therefore, meaning you must figure out what works best for you. You can have suggestions of how other people study, but just because it works for someone else does not mean it will work for you. Just find whatever will help you retain the information.

Some ways to improve test scores include:
1) Studying: Some effective ways to study include taking notes during class, creating notecards or graphic organizers, skimming the material, rereading, making visuals, etc. Mix up the strategies, and focus on understanding not memorizing.
2) Finding a good environment: When looking for a place to study, you should go somewhere quiet or with less distractions. Some good examples of places to study include a library or a quite classroom. These locations usually do not have any distractions.
2) Playing review games: Those like Kahoot or Blooket, or looking for practice quizzes online through websites like Quizlet can be helpful. This is a good alternative that can help you study by being interactive way instead of just looking at notes and then rembering it that way.
3) Not procrastinating: Don’t wait until the last minute to study. Create a schedule and space out when you study to help you remember the material. You can also set goals throughout when you study. For example, on Monday you can look over the vocabulary for that unit then on Tuesday review the first bit of a notes etc.
4) Taking breaks: You must allow yourself to take breaks during study so you can stay focused on the material and not zone out. Stretch, listen to music, have a snack, take a walk, or exercise to rest your brain.
5) Asking for help: If the material is complex or you’re having trouble, don’t be afraid to reach out to a teacher or tutor to help. You can also find classmates and work together to study.