The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Festive at Oglebay since 1985

photo+credit%3B+creative+commons%2C+Dave+Olsen+
photo credit; creative commons, Dave Olsen

Ogelbay Park is one of the prestigious lights shows in the country. “Ogelbay takes over one million people per year, including 3,000 tour buses from more than 36 states”, said Allan B. Mollohan, Representative (1st District). A frontiersman, Silas Zane was awarded with 400 acres in northern Virginia, now known as West Virginia. The land remains in the Zane family until 1812. It wasn’t until 1888, the owner record was A. Allen Howell, father of Sallie Howell Oglebay. (Ogelbay.com)

In 1980, staff members at Oglebay zoo decided to decorate around the park with a thousand of holidays lights hoping to attract more visitors to the 35-acre facility that had only opened two years before. In 1985, “Randolph worls, CEO of the Wheeling Park Commission, and several others from the West Virginias Governor’s Conference on Tourism, made a commitment to expand the zoo lights show throughout the park”, said Allan B. Mollohan.

The first show, lasted less than four weeks, featuring about 100,000 lights and fifteen displays over a three-mile drive. It drew 500,000 the first winter. By 1999, it had grown to a show featuring over a million lights and 42 displays spread over the 300 acres of land. The first animated displays appeared in 1986, by 1987 the show increased, with a drive of three to six miles.

In 1994, Ogelbay had displayed “a Cinderella story” light display. “The festival of lights infuses $25 million into the local economy”, said Allan B. Mollohan. Ogelbay has many activities including ice skating, indoor tennis, Christmas at Oglebay good zoo, jamboree dinner show, winter carnival, dinner shows, family game nights, Santa photos, and holiday movies. Ogelbay will also be showing their festival lights November 9th- January 7,2024.

Ogelbay does ask for a donation of up to $30-per vehicle. there are also guided trolley tours, lodge hourly from 5:30- 9:30pm, admission Monday- Thursday will be $20 per person. Friday, Saturday, & Sunday will be $30 per person. Dec 22- Jan 1, will be $30 per person. You are able to find more details on Oglebay’s website. (https://oglebay.com/events/)