The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Scholarship Advice

Tips for a standout application
Texas OnCourse, a source for college and career planning, offers tips for the scholarship application process.

As the end of senior year is approaching, students are in the final dash to complete applications for scholarships to earn money for college and help pay for their tuition. The average cost of tuition in the United States is 19,806 dollars. Scholarships can help reduce this cost completely. Also depending on your household income, you can get financial aid support.  

Local scholarships include the Promise scholarship, Basil’s scholarship, Rotary, Chuckie Mahoney, and an OVAC scholarship for students who played a sport. With so many scholarships, seniors may wonder where to start.  

School counselor Don Wright said, “The biggest advice I could give, as far as scholarships go, is if you qualify for the Promise Scholarship, meaning you have the GPA even if you do not have the test scores you need right now, still apply. Definitely complete your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You could get extra money from the federal or state governments. Ask your school counselors about any other information they can offer you, such as application forms. Fill out anything and everything you can to possibly get that money.” 

School counselor Natalie Charlton noted, “My advice would be to apply, apply, apply.” Counselors are always available to talk to you and provide you with any resources you need about scholarships.  

Ranging from substantial amounts to lesser amounts of money, students should apply for everything they can. According to the University of Oregon, “Meeting all application deadlines and being organized with calendars or a planner can help you be considered for all scholarships. Also, gather application materials early.” This includes transcripts, essays, signatures, or letters of recommendation.  

Always consider applying for scholarships and creating a pathway for yourself to earn free money towards your academics. Scholarships you apply for provide you with funds to help create less debt for yourself.