What Clubs Weir High Has to Offer

Why you should join these clubs

Left, print editor-in-chief Addison Mikula and, right, video executive producer Kendall Drobish work the Weir Student Media table during the freshman orientation club fair.

Elliana Cowden

Weir High School has a lot of clubs to offer. There is a club for everyone with different interests and hobbies. From community service to business and fine arts to technology, the organizations at Weir provide opportunities to learn, be involved, and grow.

Advantages the clubs have-

• Make new friends
  • Get some community service hours
  • Have fun
  • Do many activities and visit fun places.
  • Would look good on college résumé
  • Planning upcoming events and themes
  • Learn new abilities and skills
  • Giving back to the community

Break down of all the clubs-

Academic Games is run by Mrs. Smith-Montgomery. They travel to various locations to compete against other schools by playing different educational games, such as Equations, Presidents, and Onsets. Alex Hatfield stated, “I enjoy being in academic games a lot.”

Building/Room # (A 201)

Contact info- [email protected]

Band is run by Mrs. Lawton and Mr. Angle until a new band director is hired. This organization is an academic class as well as extracurricular. In band, you pick an instrument that you want to learn and you learn it. You get to perform at football games, parades, competitions, concerts, and you even march through the halls. You make many friends while also having a fun time.

Building/Room # (Band Room)

Contact info- [email protected]      [email protected]

Drama club is run by Mr. Miller. They have the fall play, which is presented from two to three days, a Christmas Party, A Play in a Day, and other club activities. There is also Slapdash in the spring, which is a improv comedy show.

Building/Room # (A 202)

Contact info- [email protected]

Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) is a club that teaches members leadership and business skills. It is run by Mrs. Dotson and they compete at state conferences, give back to the community, and do a lot of fun things like activities, games, and even hosting homecoming this year.

Building/Room # (A 306)

Contact info- [email protected]

Girls Athletic Association (GAA) is run by Mrs. Alkire. It’s an all girls club that does activities each month and you host the winter formal. Paisley Tice said, “ The thing I am most excited for in GAA is the formal.” You talk as a group to bring ideas together on what activities would be fun for the club. You get some community service hours out of it. You can help work basketball games as well.

Building/Room # (B 208)

Contact info- [email protected]

Key Club is currently looking for an advisor, and are not operating as of now. Key club is usually in charge of planning homecoming, but with no advisor, FBLA is running it. They do many community outreaches as well including Book Drives, Food drives, and other activities to help the community.

Info- tba

National Honors Society (NHS) is another academic and service organization at Weir High. In order to get into this club, participants must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher, and be participating in at least two clubs or sports. They do 45 community service hours and help the community by helping in the Salvation Army Toy Drive and other local community outreaches.

Building/Room # (A 201)

Contact info- [email protected]

National Technical Honors Society (NTHS) is somewhat similar to NHS, you have to get 10 community service hours. You also have to be in a CTE class (Career and technical education), which are classes at the JDR center or here at Weir High.

Building/Room # (A 306)

Contact info- [email protected]

Pep Club is run by Mr. Angle. Students create themes for football games, basketball games, and create signs and themes for the games. They even create senior locker signs and help set up pep rallies for upcoming events. Izzy Bernola stated, “I like just being able to have school spirit and making signs for football games.”

Building/Room # (C 217) Contact info- [email protected]

Sewing Club is run by Mrs.Hores. You learn how operate a sewing machine, hand sew, and create fabric items for selling or auctions. Last year, they made blankets for the Hancock County Animal Shelter. This club would be very useful if you like to sew, or would want to learn how to.

Building/Room # (B 206)

Contact info- [email protected]

Student Council is run by Mr. Koratich as of this year. It is for the student leaders to talk about important things regarding their class such as fundraisers, student spirit battles, and plan other fun activities and rewards.

Building/Room # (C 322)

Contact info- [email protected]

Weir Student Media (WSM) is run by Mrs. Bricker. You are in charge of creating the yearbook, newspaper, and morning announcements. You learn how to take photos and edit them, how to film properly, and how to edit those videos.

Building/Room # (C 321)

Contact info- [email protected]

Varsity Board advises the Athletic Department and is a leadership-involved club. It is run by Mrs. Ferguson (and you get invited to join the club by your coaches or advisors. “They are also involved with a variety of activities to include freshman orientation; Salvation Army Angle project, and they are going to start volunteering at Wyngate bingo nights this fall,” according to Mrs. Ferguson, The Athletic Director.

Building/Room # (Main Office)

Contact info- [email protected]