The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Upperclassmen Advice to Freshmen

Freshmen of 2023-2024 getting their things at freshmen orientation

As the new freshmen come in and start their first year of high school, upperclassmen give their two cents. From general to academic advice, Junior and Seniors share their experiences and insight on challenges they may have faced when they were freshmen.

As freshmen the upperclassmen faced many different problems when they first started their high school careers like not being able to open their locker, transitioning from middle school to high school, and being unable to find their classrooms. Freshmen now probably face similar challenges.

“The only challenge I had was at first finding my classrooms and understanding how the school works,” said Junior, Kayla Velegol.

With these challenges, upperclassmen give general advice to freshmen. These include having better hygiene skills, taking it easy and give yourself to transition from a middle schooler to a high schooler, don’t stand in the middle of the hallway, and join clubs and get involved.

“Do extracurriculars. Join clubs. Do sports. Find some way to be involved beyond the classroom, because I guarantee those experiences will forge some of your best memories. It’s a wonderful opportunity to see what you can achieve beyond the limits of school and explore your interests. It’s also an excellent way to meet new people who share your interests and will support you in this often scary time,” said Senior, Andrew Manteau.

Also, with upperclassmen’s general advice for high school comes with academic advice as well. This includes doing your work and making sure you don’t fail, trying your best, and not waiting until the last minute to do your work.

“Do your work when given. Waiting till the due date to do work, causes so much unnecessary stress. Don’t wait till the last minute. There is plenty of time to get work done,” said Junior, Mackenzie Stear.

Even the upperclassmen got advice from their upperclassmen. They got advice like to get good grades, to be nice, to not be annoying, and to make your high school years count.

Junior, Elizabeth Flesher said, “Not to worry so much and enjoy every moment because it will end quicker than you’d think.”