Is poor school standing affecting you?

Student Jordyn Ferguson posing with a fake report card.

Jordyn Ferguson, Staff

Do you understand what poor school standing is?  Students were given the question “do you know what poor school standing is?” Students gave a variety of causes for being on poor school standing, ranging from when you get bad grades, all the way to bad behavior.

In the agenda it states, “Students that are suspended out of school are automatically on poor school standing during the time they are suspended and remain on PSS depending on the severity of the infraction {minimum of three weeks}.” The agenda also states, “In addition, any student who is failing a course is automatically placed on poor school standing until grades improve to passing for at least 2 weeks.” You can find additional information on page 22 of Weir High Schools agenda.

Any student who is placed on poor school standing is not allowed to participate in any school activities outside of school. Such as field trips, assemblies, etc. You are also not allowed to participate in any sport related activities such as practice and games. These rules weren’t added to make kids hate school, but to motivate students so they get back on the right track in school.

Students think the most confusing part about poor school standing is about the grades. Some students think it is unclear how the two weeks work. Some believe That that students are placed on poor school standing after you get your grade back up, while others believe that you only have two weeks to get your grade up.

To clear up the confusion, assistant principal Lawton stated some important information about poor school standing. “What poor school standing is, it’s not I guess people think it’s a punishment, but it really isn’t. It’s trying to give the kids an incentive because a lot of kids love the extra curricular activities, and the clubs  and things like that, but our main purpose in school is education.”

Most students think that poor school standing is a punishment, but in reality it is a way to benefit students. So in reality, poor school standing is more of get students back on track. Most of the time it works it sometimes it doesn’t work for others.

“We put kids on poor school standing to say hey let’s get this going, this is what you need to do, and a lot of the times it does help the kids because we send the letters to the parents and then the parents realize and ask their kids, hey what’s going  on here, ” said  Lawton.