The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Holiday Cheer at Weir

Clubs, Students get into the spirit

As the first semester comes to an end, what would be a better way than ending it full of school holiday spirit and winter activities? The first semester was full of spirit with events and things to do all fall such as Homecoming spirit week, Mock Brooke and school Sporting events for students to show their support and love for their Peers that played.

The end of the semester will be even more jam packed with events and activities, hosted by Pep Club and Student Council, starting with a month full of spirit themes each day of the month (see graphic). All spirit attire must be school appropriate.

Student Council continues the door decorating contest tradition that will be held from Dec. 1 through Dec. 14 with the winner being announced Dec. 18. Each teacher will have a movie that they will have their doors displayed to resemble, which will be decorated by students. All doors must be completed by 4th Block on December 14. Doors will be judged on Dec. 15 based on creativity and neatness. There are three prizes this year: first place $75, second place $50 and third place $25. Money should be used to give the class that decorates the door a treat of their choice.

On Friday, Dec. 15, the Weir High School Music Department is hosting their annual winter concert “The Spirit of the Season” at 7:00 pm in the theater. Entry is free, but monetary donations will be accepted, which will go toward new equipment, uniforms, instrument repairs, and more. There will also be a 50/50 fundraiser and raffle baskets.

The Weir Middle School Band along with the high school Concert Choir, Harmony Heights Jazz Band, and the Wind Ensemble have been working the past few weeks to prepare. The choir will feature music by Greg Gilpin as well as audience participation pieces. The jazz band will perform music from Charlie Brown and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The wind ensemble will close out the concert with a wide variety of holiday favorites. Audience members will get to experience a Christmas around the World, a trip on the Polar Express, A Charles Dickens novella read live on stage and a secret special guest at the end.

In a Facebook post, band and choir director Doug Torres said, “I am beyond excited for my first Christmas concert as director.” He added, “One of the exciting things about this winter concert is the return of sign language interpreters during the concert…A huge thank you to Betty Sandy Smith Montgomery and her ASL 1 and 2 students for signing for us during the concert.”

The event will be livestreamed for anyone who is unable to attend in person.

The following week also brings a new dodgeball tournament, which takes place in the gym December 19 during fourth block, hosted by Student Council. Staff members interested in participating should sign up through student council adviser, Gina Reitter. Student teams will compete against each other until one team is left, and that student team will play the staff.

Interested students should gather their teams and sign up as a group during lunches. The cost to play is $5 per person – with half of the proceeds going to the Salvation Army. Tickets to attend the event will be on sale during all lunches from Dec. 12-15. No tickets will be sold after that. Players on each team will be given a pass to play, which will be collected for entry. Anyone wishing to attend without playing can purchase a watch pass for $1, also during lunches. Reitter will send a list of all participants to teachers on Monday, December 19.

Next, on December 20 Pep Club will present the annual Christmas Follies pep rally in the gym. There will be a team to represent each grade that can go towards spirit points for the grades that wins in these games. Interested students should sign up during lunches through Friday, December 15. Follies will be held on the last day until break that is also followed by a 2-Hour early dismissal.

Pep Club adviser Jason Angle emphasized that “students should get into these events and take pride in their school more if not already.” He also stated that students are not kids and in high school forever so do not take these opportunities for granted.