Bellevage Named HCS 2023 Teacher of Year

WHS Admin, colleagues, student laud his talents

Staff

Andrew Bellevage, head of the English Department, was recognized as Hancock County Schools Teacher of the Year at the board meeting on Monday, May 8, 2023.

“When I was chosen at the county level, I was flabbergasted. Even today, it doesn’t seem to feel real yet,” Bellevage said.

He was first selected by his Weir colleagues at the February 17 Faculty Senate meeting, about which he said, “I was absolutely in shock! I am aware that there are many of my colleagues who work just as hard as I do, but it was validating to know that they recognize all my hard work.”

Bellevage always knew he’d become a teacher because he has admired the teachers in his life since his youth. He attended Wheeling Jesuit for his undergraduate degree and has two Master’s degrees: one in teaching and learning from Colorado State Global Campus and another in literacy education from WVU.

He has taught for eight years, four of those at Weir. Here, he has taught English 10, English 11, and Literature. He will add an AP Seminar course to his workload next year. He previously taught at St. Michael Parish School in Wheeling, WV where I taught grades 5-8.

“This is the greatest honor I have received in my eight years in education, and I take that very seriously,” Bellevage said. “My goal is to make my colleagues, my school, my county, and everyone else who has mentored or supported me proud.”

For anyone considering entering the field of education, he had this advice: “For anyone who may be interested in pursuing a career in education, search your heart for the true purpose of this work. If you do not actually enjoy it, it will be a miserable experience. If you find that you love it, even with the many challenges and stress involved, you will be happy to wake up every morning and walk into your classroom.”

Testaments to an Impactful Teacher

Proud they are. Administrators, faculty and students commented on Bellevage’s award, making it clear why he earned it.

• “Mr. Bellevage was selected by the committee because of his commitment to academic excellence, to personal professional growth and development and for his unwavering support of his students and colleagues.” – Erica Sauer, HCS Director of Special Programs
  • “Mr. Bellevage is a dedicated, knowledgeable teacher who knows how to reach students with many different learning styles. His organization skills are excellent, and he is able to keep the students engaged…” – Jeanne Pellegrino, WHS assistant principal
  • “Mr. Bellevage winning teacher of the year is a testament to his hard work and dedication. He pushes himself and those around him to be their very best. I am lucky to call him a co-worker and a close friend.” – Jamie Truax, English Teacher
  • “Mr. Bellevage was one of my favorite teachers. He helped when someone needed it, and he was just a friendly and caring person. He treated everyone equally and was also there for those who needed it. He made learning fun and created a safe space for everyone.” – Emily Burskey, senior
  • “I have never been a fan of English class, but Mr. Bellevage’s class was the first class I have genuinely enjoyed. He has always been very interactive with the students in his class and ensures everyone feels included. He has a great attitude and an even greater personality. He also stepped up as our class sponsor for our senior year and did so much for the Class of 2023!” – Elli Cowden, senior
  • “His classes were some of my favorites. He has always encouraged me [and other students] to push ourselves and do everything we can to achieve our goals. Whenever I had a question, whether that be in or out of class, Mr. Bellevage was always eager to help. Mr. Bellevage inspired me to pursue the career path I currently am and has tremendously impacted my life.” – Tanner Finsley, senior
  • “At first, I was [hesitant] about taking literature but when I found out that Mr. Bellevage was teaching it, I signed up for it immediately. Mr. Bellevage is one of my favorite teachers at Weir Highschool. It is clear that he loves teaching, and he connects with the students very well. As a student, there is nothing I love more than a teacher who is passionate about what they are teaching and that is what makes Mr. Bellevage a great teacher.” – Dom Guiddy, senior
  • “He made class interesting and fun. I enjoyed being in his class, and I wish I could have taken more classes with him. He is very energetic and fun and makes learning interesting. He always did his best to help his students, and it meant a lot to everyone. He is a great teacher and is very deserving of this award. Mr. Bellevage is also a sponsor for the Class of 2023 and has done so much for us. His dedication has helped make our senior year great, and without him, we would not have been able to do as much. Having him around is so fun and there is no one more deserving than him.” – Reagan Hoover, senior
  • “I loved having Mr. Bellevage as a teacher when I took English my sophomore year. He is one of the most inspirational people I have met at Weir High School. Not only does he care about his students success, but he cares about his students on a personal level. He is an amazing person with an awesome personality. He absolutely deserved to be chosen for this award. Thank you again Mr. B, I will never forget how much you helped me without you even noticing.  You are the best!” – Johnny Kirlangitis, senior
  • “I had Mr. Bellevage for Honor’s English 10. What stood out to me the most about his character is how approachable, accepting, and supportive he is. When assigned a creative writing assignment, I felt comfortable enough to dive into concepts that were very personal to me due to how open and accepting he is of students’ individual passions and beliefs. He was always quick to find the good in students’ work, and he always chose encouragement and kindness over judgment and intimidation.” – Lydia Mascio, senior
  • “He has worked with me to get caught up and did anything and everything he could to make sure I was going to pass. He was always jolly anytime you went into his classroom, no matter the kind of day he had. Overall, he deserves this absolutely. Congratulations Mr. Bellevage!” – Dalton Rhodes, senior
  • “He is a great teacher that gets to know each of his students personally and makes connections with everyone. He has also been great with teaching me virtually and allowing me to keep up with the class and he gave the best instruction of all of my teachers while I wasn’t able to come to school.” – Owen Totten, senior
  • “He is the sweetest and always understanding, he is amazing at giving us work efficiently, but overall, as much time as we need to complete it. I’ve never really liked English beforehand, but he’s showed me it doesn’t always have to just be boring readings of articles, that’s there’s different things that come along with it, and it’s not just pointless. He is a great teacher, and person overall, and am so glad I was able to be in his class this year.” Karlie Bailey, junior
  • “I thoroughly enjoyed his class. He helped me enjoy writing and poetry. I wrote this one story that he really enjoyed to the point that he shared it to other teachers. It made me happy.” – Kylie Bartoli, junior
  • “Mr. Bellevage is a very nice person and is very patient with us students. He is a really good teacher and explains things to us until we understand. He one of the teachers who waves to you in the hallway and say hello.” – Katelyn Berdine
  • “He’s a very good teacher and he makes sure to make class fun and interesting. He makes it a huge part of his job to make sure each and every one of his students are ok and on track with each lesson. Mr. Bellevage is a very funny and unique teacher.” – Keirsten Davis, junior
  • “He is an incredible teacher who absolutely cares about his subject and his students. He is always teaching actively and ensuring that every one of his students is involved and able to participate. He has truly been an inspiration to me to come out of my shell and be confident in my work and personality since I first had him sophomore year. He works so hard to ensure that his students succeed, and this reward is so deserved. Every one of his classes has been an absolute joy to take, and I can’t wait for AP Seminar next year!” – Andrew Manteau, junior
  • “I had Mr. Bellevage for English 11. He brings a new way of teaching. We had a small class and he made sure to fit all of our needs. He is an amazing person and teacher. I wish I had him every year that I was at Weir!” Kaitlyn Maylin, junior
  • “Mr. Bellevage is one of my favorite teachers because he is always so kind to everyone, always patient with everyone, and always ready to help a student when needed. I think he truly deserves to be teacher of the year.” Jordan Wiseman, junior