Weir Gives Back

Students and staff donate thousands of goods

Flaus struts proudly after being syruped and feathered by Ferguson and Berry.

Elijah Anderson

Weir students donated nearly 5,000 items during the food drive hosted by Weir Ambassadors from November 7-18.

According to principal Kristin Bissett, this is the most items Weir has raised during this annual event.

Students contributed their items in the gym lobby as they entered the school each morning. In the end, the food donated was split between the Community Bread Basket and the pantry at Weir’s school-based health center. Food was also donated to Weir high families in need for thanksgiving.

In return for their donations, students received feathers that they could give to the teachers they wanted to be crowned the Top Turkey. They were given bonus feathers if they donated Campbell’s Chunky soups or Velveeta macaroni and cheese.

From the beginning, there was a concerted effort among many students to ensure that science teacher Lucas Flaus would crowned the top turkey. And, they were successful. With more than 375 feathers, Flaus “won.”

During an assembly at the end of the day on Tuesday, November 22, principal Kristin Bissett drew the names of senior Jordyn Ferguson and sophomore Bethany Berry, who doused Flaus with syrup and feathered him in front of the entire school.

Flaus said, “I felt like I was on top of the world” and added that he was happy that the school donated so many items.