The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Super Bowl 58 Recap

With one of the most viewed television events every year just happening here is your coverage and everything you need to know about Super Bowl LVIII. The Showdown between the AFC and NFC championships was a battle worth remembering. With the Lombardi Trophy on the line the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers fought down to the wire. The Super Bowl was played in Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was held on February 11, 2024. The stadium was filled with a whopping 61,629 and was also filled with a ton of fan favorite celebrities. Some celebs in attendance were Ice spice, Taylor Swift, Lana Del Ray, Hailey and Justin Bieber, and Jay Z. 

The Halftime show that was publicized since the release date was finally here with appearances from Usher and guest appearances from Alicia Keys, Will.i.am, Lil Jon, Ludacris, H.E.R., Jermaine Dupri. Usher opened with his 2004 hit “Caught up”.  He closed with one of his most notorious songs “Yeah!”. 

Weir Student Media staffer Zion Spencer claims the game was rigged and in complete favor of Kansas City winning. He also claims the Halftime show was super boring and could’ve been much better if rapper OT7 Quanny performed instead of usher. Another Staffer Lillie Caranda claims she is ecstatic that Swift’s boyfriend Travis Kelce won. 

The first half resulted in a low scoring half with both teams having a combined score of 13.  The first quarter ended at both teams with 0, but the second quarter start with 49ers kicker setting the longest field goal in super bowl history hitting it at 55 yards. With the 49ers having momentum off of their field goal they would cause a turnover and go down the field resulting in a score with a little trickery on a double pass from Brock Purdy to Jauan Jennings to running back Christian Mcaffrey who take it in for a 21-yard touchdown. With the first half trickling down the Chiefs got on the board with a 28-yard field goal from Kicker Harrison Butker. 

Coming into the second half, the 49ers started off great with an interception from rookie Ji’Ayir Brown. The 49ers were not able to finish the drive resulting in Chiefs Quarterback Patrick Mahomes running a 22- yard run to set up Butker to break the same day record with a 57-yard field goal. With a dropped kick return from a 49ers player the Chiefs recovered and Mahomes took advantage of this next play finding Maquez Valdes-Scantling in the endzone for the Chiefs to take their first lead of the night. With the start of the 4th quarter the 49ers took back the lead with a Quarterback Running back connection from Purdy and Jennings. After a drive down the field the Chiefs were forced for a field goal and Butker  capitalize tying the score at 16 a piece. Moody be utilized through his feet once more after a failed drive from the 49ers offense making it 19-16. Butker  come back kicking a field goal within under a minute left in regulation to tie the game. 

Heading into overtime for the first time since 2017 the 49ers win the toss, but the drive be short-lived resulting in Moody to yet again kick a field goal taking the lead 22-19. The chiefs now get their chance at scoring. With the 49ers getting a chance to take the trophy home Mahomes had other plans scrambling on a fourth and one keeping the game alive. A few plays later Mahomes set his team up in the 13-yard line with a game winning touchdown finding Mecole Hardman Jr.  

In conclusion, Mahomes Win his 3rd Super Bowl MVP award at just 28- years old. Social media took to roar about Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift celebrating together. Head coach Andy Reid obtains his 3rd Super Bowl with Mahomes as his 11th year coaching at Kansas and once again making his city proud.