The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Experience the Immortal Horror of Dracula

Drama club performs fall play Nov. 17-19

Under the direction of Corey Miller, English and theater teacher, and the leadership of junior stage manager, Emma Underwood, many students have been working hard on and behind the stage to produce this year’s fall performance: Dracula. 

Underwood said, “We selected Dracula because it was more so dramatic than comedic, especially compared to our last two shows. It’s been a lot of fun working with our cast this year. Everyone’s been pretty great.”

According to the play’s press release, when Lucy Seward comes down with a mysterious illness, her father, Doctor Seward, calls upon Abraham Van Helsing, a specialist in rare diseases, for help. All signs point to a mysterious new neighbor from Transylvania, Count Dracula.

The Count, increasing his legions of the undead, desires to turn Lucy into the queen of all vampires. Van Helsing must use everything at his disposal to hunt down and stop the prince of darkness. Will the forces of good triumph? Or will Lucy succumb to Dracula’s spell? 

Junior Eva Swearingen stars as Lucy Seward along with Caden Runkle as Dracula and Max Bilodeau as Van Helsing. 

Eve Swearingen said, “Working on Dracula has been so much fun. Even though it’s had its ups and downs I’m so happy I did it. The cast and stage crew have been amazing to work with and we have become really close friends.” She added that she had fun working on the performance and learned a few things along the way, stating, “What I’ve learned while working on this play is to be patient with people who are newer to this and that if you really focus and care what you are working on it can pay off.”

Other cast members include Leila Schwer as Vira Seward, Maddy Kingston as Doctor Seward, Mackenzie Stear as Doctor Von Prague, Ian Rogers as Renfield, Levi Anderson as Jonathan Harker, Gracie Beagle as Kate Mitchell (A Reporter), and Logan Wagner as Jameson.  

People appearing in supporting roles are Elana Kniszek as Rosa the Cook, Megan Brinkley as Sophia the Maid, and Kylie Gianni as Mina Westrena. While they are not starring roles, these are just as important as they help pull the play together.   

Finally, crew members Jacob Anthony and Caleb Sealock are contributing lights and sounds to the performance. To make this performance fully come to life and add the finishing touches, these students work behind the scenes, which is an important part of a production. 

The performance will take place on Friday, November 17 and Saturday, November 18 at 7 p.m. as well as Sunday, November 19 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $10 at the door. On Friday and Saturday, doors open to public at 6:30 p.m. and on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. for the matinee.  

Underwood said, “I feel like this weekend’s going to go pretty well. Everyone’s been working hard to make it perfect.”

The show does use non-toxic water-based fog, flashing lights, and features mild language.  

The play’s announcement warned: “Stock up on garlic, crosses, and wooden stakes if you plan to attend...just in case. See it if you dare!”