The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Hores Selected Weir Teacher of the Year

FCS teacher reacts to distinction

The 2024 Weir High School Teacher of the Year award goes to Emily Hores, family and consumer science teacher and spring musical director.

“To be chosen by my peers as Weir’s teacher of the year is an incredible honor,” Hores said.

TOY is an award that many teachers strive to achieve in their career. The honor is selected by the faculty and presented one time each school year. It is not an easy accomplishment with so many other teachers also teaching in the school. So to be selected, teachers have to standout compared to all of the rest, to be a great teacher educationally and to be compassionate about the students.

“Teacher student rapport is the most important thing. I do my best to make my classroom a warm and friendly environment for all students, so they know they can always come back,” Hores said.

She added that “staying positive, using humor to navigate difficult situations, and of course speaking in different accents while lecturing,” make her instruction stand out.

Hores’s students and colleagues agree she deserves the award because she is a great teacher, builds amazing relationships, and is just a really outstanding person.

“I think Ms. Hores got teacher of the year because she is a great teacher and cares about us as students and as humans. She also prepares us for the future,” said sophomore Hailey Hans.

“She has never failed to make me feel safe in her room…She knows what she is doing and does it in a way that is fun,” said senior Ky Bartoli.

“Working with Emily is such a great experience. She is open and kind to any and all that she interacts with…She is always willing to help when asked and is there for support whenever she is needed,” said art teacher Laura Johnston.

English teacher Andrew Bellevage said that during the process of working with Hores on spring musicals, he learned “it’s clear that she is a professional in all aspects. She knows her stuff…She also has created a warm and welcoming environment for all students who wish to learn and grow. Simply put, Emily Hores is both kind and talented; it’s a perfect combination.”

“She is one of the hardest working people I’ve ever met and despite her insane schedule, she is always there to help anyone who may need it,” said Jamie Truax, English teacher who has also worked with Hores on spring musicals.

“Hores has gone above and beyond numerous times for situations that are not always announced, publicized or even noticed by our staff. Her heart is always in the right place when students’ well-being, success, and learning are concerned,” said math teacher Alisa Hannah.

The next step for Hores is to submit the application to be considered for Hancock County Schools Teacher of the Year.