The Student News Site of Weir High School

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Weir Student Media

Nepotism is the new face of Hollywood

Nepotism

Your favorite celebrities might be nepotism babies which are the children of a famous parent, and you may not even know it. These celebrities can vary from Hailey Bieber, Kate Hudson, Drew Barrymore, George Clooney, John David Washington, Zoe Kravitz, and many more faces. Being the child of a celebrity may give them many more chances others may not have who are just as deserving. 

John David Washington, son of one of the most famous movie stars Denzel Washington explained to “E News” that he knows his father got him a step up in the game, but sometimes he would lie about who his father was just to get some kind of normalcy. When his father Denzel was shooting the movie “Malcolm X” John was an extra in the movie playing a child in the classroom scene. 

Zoe Kravitz, daughter of Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet, told Elle Magazine,” I was incredibly privileged. I got an agent easily. I’m not going to pretend like it didn’t help me get into the room. But I had to remember that I worked hard.” 

Lyla Soplinski, who played Elle Woods in our last year’s school play “Legally Blonde” talks about what she thought about nepotism knowing that one day she would want to be in the entertainment business,” I feel like it wouldn’t be fair to others who try hard to get into the Hollywood industry when nepotism babies get their fame handed to them. Everyone deserves a chance to have fame, but sometimes they should work their way up to it, not have fame already set in stone for them, but it will probably be harder for me than it is for them in the entertainment industry.” 

Eve Swearingen who is in the theatre, on what they think about celebrity children getting a step up in the game due to their parents,” I feel that the children shouldn’t be able to piggyback off their parent’s success and they should have to work and develop these skills for themselves. It gets rid of the idea of hard work and passion if they get their careers handed to them.” 

In conclusion, this shows how nepotism children can get one foot ahead of other children who could be more deserving of these opportunities. Nepotism has been a big thing in Hollywood for a while now, with people having mixed emotions about it.