It’s Okay To Not Be Okay

Mea Kaufman

Teens all over the U.S. are experiencing anxiety, school-related  problems, family dysfunction, stress, and signs of depression. While struggling from mental issues, students create problems with their attendance, grades, and social interactions with friends or family. When surveyed, students were asked if they were struggling with mental health. Out of 50 students, 14 said yes and 17 said maybe. The top causes of their mental health decline were school, stress, anxiety, and their sleep schedule. With school being the number one issue, students said that it was, “always difficult” and, “the majority of my stress and anxiety.” How should you cope with poor mental health? Finding a good coping mechanism can result in a better attitude, feelings, and overall well-being. Having hobbies such as reading, listening to your favorite song, drawing, going for a walk, playing with animals, or using relaxation methods are just some of the coping skills that could help you. Natalie Charlton, Weir High School Counselor says, “Coping skills are a great way to help you when you are feeling overwhelmed, sad, angry, or really any emotion that you are feeling.” Looking for safe ways to express your feelings can be key to feeling better. “A student should seek help if they feel there is a change in their emotions or behavior. Talking to somebody is a great start to getting help,” Charlton said. Even something as little as feeling stressed could lead to a decline in one’s mental health. Student, Ashlyn Conley says, “I work in stressful environments all the time and after a while it starts to add up.” Stress can lead to unhealthy habits and can cause a downfall in your mental stability. Counseling in or out of school can be a valuable resource to teens that are having trouble with communicating their mental struggles. According to National Education America news, “In the past year, 73% of parents surveyed said that their children would benefit from mental health counseling.” Parents might detect the initial stages of a mental health decrease, but not know how to approach the issue. “Going to counseling can help a student because you create a treatment plan with your therapist, which focuses directly in the areas that you need,” Charlton stated. It can act as a safe space for teens to explain their mental issues and to feel comfort with a person who has an unfamiliar perspective. What are some signs to look out for if a student, or friend is struggling? “A change in a student’s behavior, emotions, or hobbies can be signs.” Charlton said. “It is better to overreact than under react.” Remember Mrs. Charlton, Mr. Wright, teachers, and administrators are here to talk to. It is always better to express your feelings, emotions and problems rather than to deal with them alone.